Schematic

Tap-Tempo Clock

Update (09.07.2014): And here’s the new vero layout! Unfortunately I haven’t verified this one as I patched my original, faulty board rather than creating a new one. But I have looked it over and it should be good ;)

For those few of you interested in building this for yourself, I’ll try to stock the shop section with a few pre-programmed Tap-Tempo Clock chips as soon as the empty ones I ordered arrives. If possible I’ll also include a 20-pin DIP socket and the 8MHz crystal.

TapTempoClock

Tap-Tempo Clock box keeping my tremolo sync’ed.

TapTempoClock in action (more…)

Updated: 10 July, 2014 — 00:54

Amp #3

Update (18.05.2014): I’ve made a few changes, mainly removing the FX-loop, and also put together a basic layout since I’ve had several requests for that as well. But to keep in mind this isn’t a simple color by numbers project; you need to know how to wire all of this properly, and you also have to keep safety in mind working with high voltages!

proto_one_15w_schematic_2_0ProtoOne_2_0_layout

(more…)

Updated: 18 May, 2014 — 13:56

Trembulator with tap-tempo

I absolutely love the sound of the Baja Trembulator, so what better project to start with when it’s time to try the tap-tempo LFO micro controller?

tap_tempo_trembulator

This is a very basic adaptation; just the signal part of the Trembulator with the standard LFO circuit replaced with the micro controller (and associated components).

I kept all the multipliers, but didn’t really care for the ramp waves, and the triangle wave was very similar to the sine wave, so I decided to keep only the sine- and square wave settings.

TapTempoTrembulator

I did try this on breadboard, so I’m fairly confident it’ll work. Will update once I’ve built it.

And if you can’t figure out how to compile and program the uC I’ll consider setting a few up and ship out for cost (depending on demand etc.)

Updated: 9 November, 2013 — 00:34

Tinkering with vibrato

So, while waiting for money for amp parts to materialize, and amp parts to arrive in the mail, for some indiscernible reason I wanted to find out more about what makes a vibrato circuit tick (ha-ha).

I started looking at and playing with the Wobbletron by Tim Escobedo and some of the vibrato circuits in the “Stompboxology” papers. The Wobbletron is fun, but supposedly also quite hard to make, so I wanted to put something similar together for myself while learning something new in the process.

vibrato_v1

Trying to convert the phase shift circuit to opamp I noticed how similar this was to the first stage of both the Phase 90 and the Micro Fazer. I ended up ripping off the first stage of the Phase 90.

As for the LFO I went through 7-8 different ones from various circuits (Tremulus Lune, Trembulator, Zombie Chorus, Ultra Flanger, Phase 90, Micro Fazer, Wobbletron etc.), but ended up with something very similar to the Zombie Chorus and Ultra Flanger that I liked the most.

I also tried different optocouplers in place of the FET, but they didn’t come close, so it’s the 2N5952 from the Phase 90 (which I had a bunch of). There’s a bonus in that since there’s only one stage you don’t have to match several of them. Other’s might work equally well, but I haven’t tried.

Finally, the depth pot. No idea where that came from. Seems to work well, but value subject to some experimentation.

Vibrato

I did breadboard this circuit and had zero noise issues, but haven’t tried the vero layout yet. I’m fairly confident it’ll be good, but you never know ;)

Let me know what you think! Next, tap-tempo LFO would be cool…

Update (08.11.2013): Now verified as working, thanks to Michael. Also, now that I’ve got the tap-tempo micro controller working I’ve modified this circuit to go with it. Stay tuned :)

Updated: 8 November, 2013 — 23:21

Relay switching using microcontroller

Today’s post is unfortunately going to be more of a tease than a practical layout.

I’ve been experimenting with programming micro controllers the last few days (AVRs to be specific) and I thought a good starting project would be to try operating a latching relay switching circuit with this instead of the CD4069. And hopefully the result will have a smaller dimension too.

LatchingRelayV2

Pretty basic stuff, I know, and I probably forgot something too, but I have breadboarded this and verified that the circuit and controller works.

LatchingRelayV2

I have yet to verify the actual vero layout though, but will probably do so pretty soon.

Now, I wish I could share this with you all, but even if I put up the AVR binary so you could download it there’s still the issue of having to program it onto the chip. I’m open to suggestions. If there’s any interest, let me know.

Update (01.04.2013): Works great :)

Update (11.10.2013): I know I promised this a long time ago, but better late than never. Here is the source code for the ATTiny85 micro controller used in this vero layout.

RelayControllerAttiny85_vero.c

Now, this is meant for DIY-use only, no profiting! I’m not going to explain how you compile this and tank the micro, that’s totally outside the scope here. If there’s enough interest I might consider prep’ing some micro’s and mailing them out at cost. We’ll see.

Updated: 12 October, 2013 — 01:41
SabroTone © 2014 Frontier Theme